Written and directed by Jewish actor and filmmaker Albert Brooks, who was born into an entertainment family, he's no stranger to Hollywood.
Interestingly, I was born in 1985, meaning he's been in the industry my entire life—but I had never heard of Albert Brooks until now! Maybe Albert Brooks isn’t well-known in my community or doesn’t appeal to my generation.
As a ’90s kid who grew up in the African American community, Martin Lawrence and Eddie Murphy never get old for us. Meanwhile, Steve Carell, who is much older than my generation, still appeals to people my age—even those younger than me. Even though Albert Brooks played characters in popular movies like Dr. Dolittle, Finding Nemo, The Simpsons Movie, and The Secret Life of Pets, I never recognized or knew him when I watched them.
Now that I know who he is, I hope to see more of his work in future movies I watch!
Albert's full original name is Albert Lawrence Einstein.
Yes, I know—that's interesting, considering both Alberts are Jewish men with the same last name, Einstein. Albert adopted "Brooks" as his professional name, but there’s no official reason given for why he chose it—other than wanting to distance himself from the late Albert Einstein, the E=MC² guy.
He made this change when he was a 19-year-old student at Carnegie Institute of Technology.
Albert Brooks has written and directed many films throughout his life.
I haven't found any record of him being politically active, but he made a film that reflects post-9/11 themes, such as raising awareness of Muslims and the Middle East conflicts in the early 2000s. Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World was written by Albert, who is Jewish himself.
It seems that Albert Brooks is one of the few Hollywood and public figures who had no issues interacting with Muslims during the "anti-Muslim" era in the white evangelical and conservative world.
President George W. Bush was also one of those people.
Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World seems like a comedy based on the title, but it's more of an intelligent satire rather than a laugh-out-loud comedy.
Honestly, I expected humor and laughter when I prepared to watch this movie, but I didn’t find it that funny. Instead, I sensed satire in many lines, especially during the conversations between Brooks and his assistant, Maya, in their first and second meetings.
Another reason I watched this movie was because the title is associated with religion. As a writer dedicated to religious and theological themes, I expected the film to focus on religious topics, as implied by the title. However, it felt more like a study of society and human interactions rather than religion itself. But I’m glad I watched this movie and got the chance to learn about Albert Brooks.
Let’s talk about the film!
The main character, Albert Brooks, was out of a job. I think he took a break from job searching for a while. One day, his wife found an unopened letter from the U.S. Secretary of State’s office—it had been sitting there overdue.
Albert explained that he was scared to open and read it. When he and his wife finally did, they discovered that he had been offered an assignment from the Secretary of State’s office.
Brooks flew to Washington, D.C., where he met with officials at the Secretary of State building. He was given an assignment: writing a 500-page report on the "study of laughter" in India and Pakistan. Brooks was told he would receive the Medal of Freedom for completing the assignment upon his return to the U.S.
Upon arriving in Delhi, India, Brooks was accompanied by two men who worked for the Secretary of State's office. Brooks was completely new to India and had no direct connections there. Maya was hired as Brooks' assistant.
Brooks and Maya asked people around what made them laugh, but Brooks couldn’t find any real answers to that question. He decided to establish his own stand-up comedy show in India, and his team began advertising the show across various towns. Brooks thought he could find the answers he was looking for through his own show. Despite people showing up at the auditorium, the experience was awkward, as the workers there had no experience with behind-the-scenes tasks like lighting control, accessibility, etc. Brooks told jokes and satirical content that weren’t familiar to the audience. Near the end of the show, the comedy stand-up performance turned into a boring, classroom-style lecture. However, Brooks' reputation spread like wildfire throughout the town. The Indian government turned its attention to Brooks, becoming suspicious about why he was in the country.
It was time to move on to the next assignment in Pakistan, but the team learned that Brooks couldn’t get a visa to the country. As part of the travel strategy, they arranged a meet-up with a group of Pakistanis through an illegal border crossing. I’m not sure if these Pakistanis were actual comedians or militants posing as fake comedians. I’m also confused about how the two men, Stewart and Mark, managed to get in touch with these Pakistani men, as it wasn’t explained clearly in the movie. Brooks, Maya, Stewart, and Mark arrived at the India/Pakistan border late at night, where Brooks met a Pakistani man who took him to a group of Pakistani militants. I think Brooks expected a diplomatic discussion about laughter and culture with the Pakistanis, but instead, it was the opposite. Brooks learned that these men expected the comedy show. Brooks gave them the same comedy performance he had done in India. The men laughed and enjoyed Brooks' jokes. Brooks returned to the border and let the team know that it was great.
After both the Indian and Pakistani governments learned that Brooks had made an illegal border crossing and remained in Pakistan for four hours, tensions rose between the two countries. Both governments contacted the U.S. government to find out what was going on regarding Albert Brooks.
Despite Albert Brooks and Maya having ambitious plans for the next assignment, Stewart and Mark brought bad news to Brooks: he had to return to the U.S. Brooks initially protested but later accepted that the assignment was over, with only a four-page report. Brooks returned to the U.S., enjoyed his time with his family, and his daughter even received a beautiful dress and a snowflake ball as a gift. Unfortunately, Brooks did not receive the Medal of Freedom.
As a viewer, I expected the ending to be more exciting or interesting. While it was good to see that Brooks flew back to the U.S. safely, it was sad that his mission wasn't completed in India and Pakistan.
The grade I gave for this film is five stars. I think Albert Brooks, as a Jewish person himself, did a good job showing that you can be a person of faith in the Muslim world, particularly in India and Pakistan, while encouraging viewers to immerse themselves in cultural awareness. Maybe "American-style" laughter isn't a part of the Muslim culture in India or Pakistan, but that doesn't mean they are mean. The Quran and Hadith even have guidelines on laughing and joy! Imagine if there were guidelines in the Bible telling Christians what they can or can’t laugh about—ugh.
Muslims with Hindu culture, like those in India, and Muslims with strong radical political interests, like those in Pakistan, are another example of how Albert Brooks did a good job distinguishing the differences between the two Muslim cultures in both countries. I'm not familiar with Hinduism and its culture, but I don't think public laughter or humor is widely practiced in everyday Hindu life. It's something I need to study further. However, since Pakistani Muslim militants, who happen to be soldiers themselves, often tell nasty jokes, it's common for soldiers to make such jokes—even ones that could be considered violations of the Quran. These soldiers still enjoy that kind of humor as long as it aligns with their cultural interests.
So that's all I wrote. Albert Brooks, Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World is turning 20 on December 15, 2025. I'm looking forward to that anniversary. Thank you for making the movie!
Comments
Post a Comment