American Primeval - Continued


I watched all six episodes. The distinction between protagonists and antagonists became clear, and I became familiar with the characters by episode 3. Unlike when I watched the first and second episodes for the first time, I was confused by the characters, especially the male characters with beards and heavy facial hair, which made it difficult for new viewers to identify each character in episodes 1 and 2.

Sara, Devin, and Two Moons are the main protagonists, while Mr. Isaac Reed plays a supporting role for the main protagonists. Although there are no clearly established antagonists in the film, the Mormon militias are seen as the main antagonists, along with the American Indian rebel groups. It's interesting to note that each group has Native Americans assisting them. The Mormon militias had several Native Americans working with them, as did U.S. soldiers, settlers, Bridger and the fort, and even Sara and Devin, who had an unexpected travel companion, Two Moons, who was also Native American.

I identified seven groups in the film: Sara, Devin, Two Moons, and Isaac Reed, who is the group's guide; the second group, Brigham Young and the Mormons; the third group, the Mormon militias (though the Mormons and Mormon militias often overlap); the fourth group, the Shoshone Indians; the fifth group, the Shoshone Indian rebels (with both the fourth and fifth groups often overlapping); the sixth group, U.S. soldiers; and the seventh group, Bridger and the fort.

Who wins the wars in the film? While most characters were killed in various fights between the groups, Sara, Devin, and Two Moons survived unscathed. Sara eventually began traveling to California as a free woman with two young kids, Devin and Two Moons. Brigham Young and Bridger both accomplished their goals. Brigham Young was able to destroy the fort and protect his people, while Bridger walked away with a lot of money from the sale of his fort.

So what is my opinion?

There is always new stuff to learn about U.S. history. The Utah War is my newest topic that I've just researched; it was never taught in my schools (teachers can't teach you everything, anyway!). Without a basic understanding of the Utah War, movie viewers may struggle to follow the story in the film.

While watching the Mormon militias terrorize the pioneer settlement and later the Shoshone Indian settlement, they wore white masks to cover their heads, which is similar to the Ku Klux Klan in the East. The Mormon militias' leader even disciplined one of their men by whipping him, a practice common in the South—where masters whipped troubled slaves and even workers. I suspected that the Mormon militias may have adopted some practices from slavery in the East/South and applied them to themselves. Funny enough, I gave them the nickname "Wild West Ku Klux Klan."


In American Primeval, Brigham Young's character is portrayed as a radical "My people first" leader. He saw no separation between religion and secular authority in his role as the Utah Territory governor. He employed. I did a little research on Brigham Young and learned that he was a wealthy man, a Democrat, and had political relationships with Presidents Franklin Pierce (14th) and James Buchanan (15th). He stepped down as governor before Abraham Lincoln became the 16th President, but they were both aware of each other. As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I have access to church history resources. I read two of Brigham Young's earliest sermons as President and Prophet, both of which often mentioned his time with Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery, such as preserving the golden plates, as the Apostle. Of course, the church has acknowledged the history of Brigham Young's radical leadership but is cautious about not painting his reputation in a way that could harm the church's image. I've heard lots of stories about Brigham Young during my active involvement with the church. However, it wasn't until watching American Primeval that I discovered how much about Brigham Young was mysterious yet fascinating! Especially his role during the Civil War era, which made the story about him more interesting to me than ever before. Honestly, I never had considered the fact that Brigham Young and Abraham Lincoln lived during the same era! I may write a blog about Brigham Young on my Theology Critiques by Reggie blog one day soon.

Yes, I am aware of the church's response to Netflix's American Primeval recently. I haven't read the response, but I'm familiar with the tone, given the church's history of responding to various media attention that may harm its image. Nothing new. I think it's more about public awareness rather than trying to defend the church. Again, I haven't read the response yet, but I will. However, American Primeval isn't a direct attack on the church or even Brigham Young, nor does it try to deceive the public about church history. Even though Mormon history plays a significant role in the movie's story, it isn't a Mormon movie. I've heard similar arguments made by evangelical Christians about Hollywood biblical movies like Noah, 10,000 B.C., and Exodus: Gods and Kings. So, the Latter-day Saints church's response is no different.


There's a familiar title in the film that caught my attention—Old Spanish Trail. Prior to watching American Primeval, I thought Old Spanish Trail was just a street name on the east side here in Tucson. But I realized there's a meaningful story behind the Old Spanish Trail, which makes me want to research it more.


In conclusion, I would recommend this movie to everyone who enjoys Western U.S. history, scholars specializing in the Utah Wars and Mormon history, and those who are experts in Native American heritage and cultures. I give this movie 5 stars!


Comments